Golden Xpress Labradoodle dogs aren’t just cute – they can actually make you happier! Although it’s easy to see how professionally-trained therapy dogs benefit humans, even your lowly household pet can enrich your life in a number of ways. Dogs can ease loneliness, reduce stress, promote social interaction, encourage their owners to exercise and become more playful, and they always provide us with unconditional love and affection.
While most pet owners easily recognize the immediate joy that comes with pet ownership, there are many ways dogs improve their owners’ physical and mental health as well. Studies have shown that owners who play or snuggle with their dogs experience several benefits:
- Pet owners are less likely to suffer from depression than people without pets.
- People with pets have lower average blood pressure than those without pets.
- Playing with a pet can elevate levels of serotonin and dopamine, which contribute to feelings of calm and relaxation.
- Pet owners have lower triglyceride and cholesterol levels than people without pets.
- If a pet owner has a heart attack, he/she is more likely to survive longer than someone without pets.
- Pet owners over age 65 make 30% fewer trips to the doctor than those without pets.
- Observing pets (whether they’re playing, sleeping, or displaying other adorable doggy behaviors) lowers pulse rate and reduces muscle tension.
One of the reasons dogs provide their owners with all of these health benefits is because dogs fulfill the basic human need of touch. Stroking, holding, cuddling, or otherwise touching a loving animal can rapidly calm and soothe us when we’re stressed. The companionship of a pet can also ease loneliness, and dogs are a great stimulus for healthy exercise, which can substantially boost mood.
If you are looking for ways to make your life happier, consider adopting a dog from Golden Xpress Labradoodles – the benefits to you and your family can not be underestimated!